Mount Saint Joseph will participate in an open sports season this fall with each team building their own schedule. Tryouts will begin the week of October 19 for football, soccer, cross country, and volleyball. The MIAA has decided to move the water polo season to the spring. Please read this email carefully for information on ImPACT testing, physicals, sportsmanship meetings, and tryouts for fall sports.
New this year, ImPACT testing will be completed at home. The baseline test is required for all incoming freshmen, rising juniors, and any transfer students new to MSJ. It must be completed before a student may try-out for a sports team.
It is recommended by ImPACT that you use Google Chrome to access the test and allow pop-up windows for the duration of the test. Complete the test in a distraction- and other device-free environment.
- Go to www.impacttestonline.com/testing.
- Enter the school code: D4E1E2E695 => Click on Validate.
- Mount Saint Joseph High School will appear. Click on Launch baseline test.
- Click Next to take the test in English.
- Read the directions and click Next.
- Enter all information the test asks for. When the prompt asks, click on Enter additional demographics.
- Please take your time and read the directions prior to each section.
- At the conclusion of the test, click submit.
All students must have a current preparticipation physical examination completed for the 2020-2021 school year before they will be allowed to try-out for a sports team. The completed physical should be on file with the school nurse prior to the first day of practice, or you may turn in the completed form to Mr. Loovis on the first day of try-outs. The form is available on the Health Procedures & Forms page of the MSJ website.
We expect that there could be delays in getting appointments at primary care clinics due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We encourage you to schedule your well-child visit as soon as possible. Please note that MSJ also accepts physicals from Patient First, Minute Clinic, and other walk-in health clinics.
Fall Sportsmanship Meetings
Contact person: Director of Athletics, Kraig Loovis - firstname.lastname@example.org
These meetings are mandatory for all student athletes and a parent who have made a fall sports team or are still in the process of trying out for a team. These meetings will be held separately by sport and will be announced during the first week of practice.
Fall Try-Out Safety Protocols
- Face coverings are required.
- Water bottles must be brought from home.
- There will be places available to refill water bottles.
- For students who are distance learning, health screening through the AUXS app and temperature checks are required. Students who are learning on campus will have already performed these tasks earlier in the day.
- Locker rooms are closed, but Memorial Gym will be used as a changing room for those who need to change prior to try-outs.
Fall Try-Out Schedule
October 19 and October 20: Student athletes should meet at the track at 2:45 p.m. if interested in joining the cross country team. You only need to attend in-person practice on the days your cohort is present in school.
Practice from (3:00-4:30 p.m.).
October 19 and October 21: All grades 9th-12th in Cohort 1 only (2:45 - 4:15 p.m.) on the turf field.
October 20 and October 22: All grades 9th-12th in Cohort 2 only (2:45 - 4:15 p.m.) on the turf field.
October 23: Cohort 1 (1:00-2:30 p.m.), Cohort 2 (2:45 - 4:15 p.m.) on the turf field.
October 24: TBA
All tryouts will be held in the Smith Center.
October 19: Varsity Tryout only (3:30 - 5:30 p.m.)
October 20: JV Tryouts (3:00 - 5:00 p.m.), Varsity Tryouts (3:45 - 5:45 p.m.)
October 21: JV Tryouts (3:00 - 5:00 p.m.), Varsity Tryouts (3:45 - 5:45 p.m.)
October 22: JV Tryouts (3:00 - 5:00 p.m.), Varsity Practice (3:45 - 5:45 p.m.)
October 23: JV Practice (3:00 - 4:45 p.m.), Varsity Practice (3:45 - 5:45 p.m.)
October 16: Varsity football equipment issue (3:45 - 4:45 p.m.).
October 19: Varsity football tryouts (3:00 - 4:00 p.m.) weight room/classroom, (4:15 - 6:15) practice on the turf field.
October 19: JV football equipment issue (3:30 - 4:30 p.m.).
October 20: JV football tryouts (3:15 - 5:15 p.m.) on the grass field.